SUMMARY: An easy stroll out to an arch with a hole in the ceiling. Even with the hole in the ceiling of the arch, at best this is still an average attraction in Red River Gorge.
RATING: Easy walk (about 0.6 miles.)
BEST TIME OF YEAR TO WALK: Early spring when flowers are blooming or autumn when you can catch the fall colors. The USDA Forest Office is located in Winchester, Kentucky about an hour from Red River Gorge. For up to date information either stop in the Ranger District Office, visit their website or telephone: (859) 745-3100
AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED: Allow a half of an hour (less than 1 hour) to enjoy this walk.
DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD:
- From rest area at exit #33 off of the Mountain State Parkway Turn left, and return to the Mountain State Park – West (8 miles)
- Take Exit 40 for for KY-15/KY-715 toward Beattyville. (0.3 miles)
- Turn right at KY-15 N/KY-715 N. (0.7 miles)
- Take the 1st right onto KY-715 N. (6.3 miles)
- Park in well marked parking area on right side of road just after crossing the concrete bridge.
- From parking area follow the unmarked trail to the right of the marked trail, You should be walking parallel to the river, (between the river and the trail on your left) heading up stream. Look for Moonshiner’s Arch just off the trail on the left side. (0.3 miles)
- Return to parking area on the unmarked trails, or pass underneath the arch and find the trail # off to your left paralleling the unmarked trail and the river. (0.3 miles)