- SUMMARY: An easy walk to a an amazing view.
RATING: Easy Walk (about 0.6 miles) Restrooms are available at trailhead.
BEST TIME OF YEAR TO WALK: Early spring when flowers are blooming or autumn when you can catch the fall colors. The USDA Forest Office is located in Winchester, Kentucky about an hour from Red River Gorge. For up to date information either stop in the Ranger District Office, visit their website or telephone: (859) 745-3100
AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED: Allow a half of an hour (less than 1 hour) to enjoy this walk.
DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD:
- From rest area at exit #33 off of the Mountain State Parkway Turn left, and return to the Mountain State Park – West (8 miles)
- Take Exit 40 for for KY-15/KY-715 toward Beattyville. (0.3 miles)
- Turn right at KY-15 N/KY-715 N. (0.7 miles)
- Take the 1st right onto KY-715 N. (2.2 miles)
- Turn left Chimney Rock Road. (3.5 miles)
- Park in Chimney Rock parking area at the end of road.
- From the Chimney Rock Trailhead follow Trail #235 Chimney Top Trail to the Chimney Top Overlook (0.3 miles) Please use extreme caution, while this and many other trails have some safety barriers, fatal accidents continue to occur on this and other populae trails.
- Return to Parking are on Trail #235 Chimney Top Trail (0.3 miles).
BONUS: Look across the valley and see Half Moon Arch.
This walk can easily be combined with the Princess Arch and Little Princess Arch Walk as it leaves from the same parking area.