SUMMARY: An easy hike to an arch in the forest.
RATING: Easy Hike (about 2.8 miles)
BEST TIME OF YEAR TO HIKE: Early spring when flowers are blooming or autumn when you can catch the fall colors. The USDA Forest Office is located in Winchester, Kentucky about an hour from Red River Gorge. For up to date information either stop in the Ranger District Office, visit their website or telephone: (859) 745-3100
AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED: Allow less than a half a day (2-3 hours) to enjoy this hike, and spend some time resting and enjoying the arch.
DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD:
- From rest area at exit #33 off of the Mountain State Parkway Turn left, and go to end of road (.3 miles)
- Turn Right onto KY 15 (5.1 miles)
- Turn Left into Koomer Ridge Campground Road (0.1 miles)
- Park in Koomer Ridge Trailhead Parking Area (on left)
- From the Koomer Ridge Trailhead Parking Area, go back across campground road to trailhead.
- Follow trail #225 Silvermine Arch Trail until it arrives at Silvermine Arch. (1.4 miles) The first half a mile or so of the trail wanders through the campground and there are many unofficial trails, but after leaving the campground area the noises and smells will be behind you.
- Return on trail #225 Silvermine Arch Trail until it arrives at back at Koomer Ridge Trailhead Parking Area. (1.4 miles)
This hike can easily be combined with the Hidden Arch Hike as it leaves from the same parking area or both are popular hikes for campers at Koomer Ridge Camground .