SUMMARY: An easy walk to a unique arch and cool rock formation.RATING: Easy Walk (about 0.6 miles)
BEST TIME OF YEAR TO WALK: Early spring when flowers are blooming or autumn when you can catch the fall colors. The USDA Forest Office is located in Winchester, Kentucky about an hour from Red River Gorge. For up to date information either stop in the Ranger District Office, visit their website or telephone: (859) 745-3100
AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED: Allow a half of an hour (less than 1 hour) to enjoy this walk.
DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD:
- From rest area at exit #33 off of the Mountain State Parkway Turn left, and return to the Mountain State Park – West (8 miles)
- Take Exit 40 for for KY-15/KY-715 toward Beattyville. (0.3 miles)
- Turn right at KY-15 N/KY-715 N. (0.7 miles)
- Take the 1st right onto KY-715 N. (4.7 miles)
- Turn left and Park in Whistling Arch parking area.
- From the Whistling Arch parking area follow Trail #234 Whistling Arch Trail to Whistling Arch (0.3 miles)
- Return to Parking are on Trail #234 Whistling Arch Trail (0.3 miles)
BONUS: It is possible to scramble up on top of the arch. While not recommended use extreme caution and preferably a rope as fatal accidents occur in the area too often.
This walk can easily be combined with the Angel Windows Walk as its parking area is just 0.7 miles down the road.