SUMMARY: An easy walk to a large Rock. This is NOT one of our favorite walks as Tower Rock is an average site.
RATING: Easy Walk (about 0.75 miles) There is no parking at trailhead, you will need to park up or down the street in a pull off. The first 0.25 mile of the trail has a decent up hill grade.
BEST TIME OF YEAR TO WALK: Early spring when flowers are blooming or autumn when you can catch the fall colors. The USDA Forest Office is located in Winchester, Kentucky about an hour from Red River Gorge. For up to date information either stop in the Ranger District Office, visit their website or telephone: (859) 745-3100
AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED: Allow a half of an hour (less than 1 hour) to enjoy this walk.
DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD:
- From rest area at exit #33 off of the Mountain State Parkway Turn left, and return to the Mountain State Park – West (8.0 miles)
- Take Exit 40 for for KY-15/KY-715 toward Beattyville. (0.3 miles)
- Turn right at KY-15 N/KY-715 N. (0.7 miles)
- Take the 1st right onto KY-715 N. Trail head is on right side, but there is NO parking, you will need to park in a pull off before or after trailhead (8.7 miles)
- Follow trail #229 Tower Rock Trail for until split in trail (0.25 miles)
- Turn right and continue on trail #229 Tower Rock Trail as it makes a loop around Tower Rock returning to split in trail (0.25 miles)
- Turn right and return to parking area on trail #229 Tower Rock Trail (0.25 miles)